Sunday, August 9, 2009

Soundtrack Diva


No, that's not Whitney Houston in the picture.

I really enjoy Macy Gray. I don't care what anyone else's opinion is of her. I got all four of her albums, search for all her loose tracks, and randomly throw on her playlist all the time while still holding my man card. All you may know of her is her global smash single (that you know all the words to), "I Try", and maybe that she sang the As Told by Ginger theme song (for all the former Nickelodeon-ers around my age), but who really cares about that? To me, she's forever an icon ... simply because she played a role in my two favorite movies of all time, Domino (with my wife, Keira Knightley) and the OutKasted Idlewild.

Speaking of those two movies, Macy also performs a featured song on each one. And luckily for me, they were em-pee-three'd on the respective soundtracks as well. Majestically drawing the curtain on Domino's elaborate, explosive, and intensely provoking conclusion, Macy softly lays her vocals on a song simply entitled "Real". That deeply cemented the flick as my favorite and most personally impacting film I've experienced so far in my short life. It opened on a stellar note with a thumping Xzibit/Anthony Hamilton collabo and held every morsel of my attention and dedication until Macy's signature croon completed the experience. And this is another thing ... I don't give a flying anything what you think about Domino. That's my ish for the rest of eternity.

And soon after I updated my iTunes with a few secretive gems that I had to search down from Ms. Gray, I realized that she for real, for real brings her A-game on movie soundtracks. I love most all her music, but she's got some serious hits on a couple random big screen projects that I've never actually seen before. I thought I'd share them with you tonight if you can handle the raspy vocal repertoire of one of my elite R&B songstresses. You can say what you want, but let me tell you that there is no mistaking a Macy Gray joint. And I'm not even talking about the still smoldering one that she just put down. If those pipes (and I'm not even ... forget it) are broadcast over some speakers, then everyone knows what's up. "I Try" is a purely classic landmark of the turn of the century, so you should have respect for this woman. Now I ain't saying her last name is Keys or Hill or anything, but give a few of these soundtrack songs a chance and get a taste of some miscellaneous Macy goodness that you may find out you can secretly enjoy, too. And just to reinforce everything I've already said, I really, really, really love Keira Knightley ...

Macy Gray -
"Real" from Domino
"Coming Back to You" from Deja Vu
"Time of Your Life" from 8 Mile
"Don't Forget Me" from Confessions of a Shopaholic

... but do take my word for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

so what did ya think about whatever the heck i wrote?