Saturday, November 20, 2010

CyHi: Ode to 3000

"... I told him, 'make no free sacks,
I need 60.' He said, 'Damn, shorty, I'll be back'
Then I replied that I'd been goin through tha same thing that he had
True I got more fans than the average man but not enough loot to last me
to the end of the week, I live by the beat like you live check to check
If you don't move yo foot then I don't eat, so we like neck and neck
He said, 'we thought you was rich ever since you left the deck'
I said, 'I am, aggin, that's the catch' ...
"
-CyHi da Prynce from "Hear Me Out" in 2010

"... and he kept askin me, 'what kind of car you drive? I know you paid
I know y'all got buku of hoes from all them songs that y'all done made'
And I replied that I'd been goin through tha same thing that he had
True I got more fans than the average man but not enough loot to last me
To the end of the week, I live by the beat like you live check to check
If you don't move yo foot then I don't eat, so we like neck to neck
Yes we done come a long way like them slim ass cigarettes
From Virginia, this ain't gon stop so we just gonna continue ...
"
-Andre 3000 from OutKast's "Elevators (Me & You)" in 1996

Not so much a tribute as it is a blatant re-usage, but it's nice for CyHi to convey that Dre's '96 truth spitting still applies for a newly signed G.O.O.D. Music rapper 14 years later. I really hope Kanye uses his John Legend/Common type of management on da Prynce more-so than his GLC/Consequence/Really Doe type of management. Cuz he's got bars and I actually wanna hear legitimate music from the dude.

... and Free Enes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

so what did ya think about whatever the heck i wrote?