Wednesday, February 18, 2009

It's a Big Blue Watery Road

They have their moments. Saturday Night Live was rebirthed out of irrelevancy due to this past election coverage, but they're having a hilarity hangover with their recent musical shorts.


They amused me. So riddle me intrigued when I found out they were actually coming with a whole album. Incredibad. So I got it. And ... I mean ... it's alright.


If you enjoy the shorts then you'll most likely enjoy the entire album. All I'mma say is they're no Flight of the Concords. They're no Bo Burham. They're no Weird Al. But nobody is. Where it has its moments is in the amazing features they somehow pulled. Jack Black left Tenacious D at home to craft the uproariously hilarious "Sax Man". T-Pain has a sense of humor about his own calling card. Norah Jones, in all Norah Jones seriousness, sells out in the middle of a song to cereal advertising. Those moments are classic.

But the group itself can become more tedious than humorous at times. I don't know. It just seems like they were leaning real hard on the whole we're-white-and-look-how-crazy-it-is-that-we're-rapping angle. And while a song like "Jizz in My Pants" is legitimate in its el-oh-el status, it's because it might as well be a Flight of the Concords song. I guess it's an intentional parody with the accents and rhyming style and brand of humor. But parody of an already pop music parodying-type group is a limited avenue. I don't know. They're aight. I enjoy the boat song.

... put 'em both together and you got yourself a super spork.

No comments:

Post a Comment

so what did ya think about whatever the heck i wrote?