Friday, December 5, 2008

Classic: Thieves in the Night


"'Give me the fortune, keep the fame,'
Said my man Lewis. I agreed.
Know what he mean, cuz we live the truest lie.
I asked him, 'Why we follow the law of the bluest eye?'
He looked at me, he thought about it, was like 'I'm clueless. Why?'
The question was rhetorical, the answer is horrible ..."

I was slack jawed the first time I got to this song on the Black Star album. I have to admit getting on the train of thought quite late, first hearing of Talib Kweli and being intrigued because of Common and his feature on Kanye's "Get 'Em High". At least I got on it, though.


Black Star is the ridiculously intense duo of the aforementioned Kweli and fellow Brooklynite Mos Def. Hip hop never got any more raw to me than the 13 tracks that blessed my ears on their first, and currently only, collaborative LP. This specific track featured eye opening and soul provoking verses along with a Run-D.M.C.-like back and forth chorus between the emcees. And it was quite impressively helmed production-wise by 88 Keys who took a track away from Hi-Tek, the main producer of the album.

"Hidin' like thieves in the night from life,
Illusions of oasis makin' you you twice."

If Mos ever wasn't fully engulfed in some other production show-biz wise, the world would be so much better off with a sophomore Black Star collabo LP over a decade after the fact.

... and so concludes another masterpiece

No comments:

Post a Comment

so what did ya think about whatever the heck i wrote?