Monday, December 1, 2008

Between the Sheets


Everybody knows "I love it when you call me big poppa". It's a cultural reference for this generation as well as the last one. What surprised the heck out of me is when I heard a shuffle-playlisted Gwen Stefani song have the exact same instrumental sample to it as Biggie's biggest hit.

So of course I had to engulf myself in a Wiki search to make myself a quick pseudo-genius on its history. The sample is by, prolly the most hip hopified group ever, the Isley Brothers. The song is 1983's "Between the Sheets" from an album of the same name. Stefani's "Luxurious" jacks pretty much the same composition from the song on a poppy/girl-rock tip. Another song that much more subtly snatches it is the way-older-than-when-you-thought-he-started Common song "Breaker 1/9". Far cry from "Universal Mind Control". We're talking '92 here. Pre-Michael Jordan retirement jokes. Now that's old.


Maybe my favorite thing about this quick research is that this exact song, though a completely sonically different portion, is a sample in the famed "Ignorant Ish" released by Jay-Z multiple times.

... and so concludes another masterpiece

No comments:

Post a Comment

so what did ya think about whatever the heck i wrote?