Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Best Thing Out in Years


Easily, the best new artist that I've been introduced to this year is Seattle's Macklemore. He's a straight poet. I feel like I'd be degrading the dude by calling him a rapper. He brings the gruff voice of a weathered spoken word artist and crafts the most important stories you're going to hear this year onto the interpolated compositions of his producing counterpart Ryan Lewis. He's got some older material, but I've never heard it before. All I know is that this VS. project is pretty much better than anything else you're listening to. Experience it. And then attempt to talk about it afterwards. I'm having trouble doing so.

Macklemore & Ryan Lewis - The VS. EP

It's absolutely insane. Spoiler: I thought that nothing could possibly eclipse the impact that Cudi's Man on the Moon had on me this year. But I was wrong. And that will be reflected in my "Top Ten" features this month or whenever I write 'em up. This is musical crack and hits on every topic you could ever imagine telling a story about. Cuz Macklemore doesn't rap. Rappers don't make music this good. Damn. I gotta get myself caught up. If his catalogue is anywhere near as impressive as these seven tracks, then I might have a new favorite ... poet.

... but do take my word for it.

2 comments:

  1. Completely agree with the "poet" statement. I put a link to his other two albums on my own blog post about the EP. Check it here http://www.headphonehome.com/2009/12/album-macklemore-ryan-lewis-vs-ep-2009.html

    ReplyDelete

so what did ya think about whatever the heck i wrote?