Sunday, September 13, 2009

Hold On: Mike Dreams


I've had this song that's been "under construction" for a good while now. It's my "Hold On (Remix)" joint, revamped from my debut album lead single by the masterful London producer Charlie Hilton. The seeds of this song go all the way back to the very beginning of the summer and is still nowhere close to being done, but I wanted to start a short series highlighting all the contributors to what will become of this epic song. And here is me doing that.

The newest emcee to come into the fold is Mike Dreams, formerly Young Son a.k.a. Sean Kingston's twin brother a.k.a. Gravy's second cousin, removed.

My man right here is from Minneapolis, Minnesota. That alone holds him in good company with beast MN emcees like Slug, P.O.S, and Brother Ali. You can catch all over the 2dopeboyz c-section and thankfully that, along with his dope music, has got him some features on one of hip hop's premier blog sites. As a frequent c-section arguer myself, I first caught ear of his sound from his promptly released "Run This Town" freestyle.

Mike Dreams - Run This Town

Mike's just a straight positive emcee. His flow is completely effortless as he takes on all kinds of beats and makes them easy, head-nodding jams. With his relentless storytelling, relatable subject matter, and genuine delivery, any song he jumps on is set to improve. I personally think he's at his best when he goes in slow-flowed and heavy on a thoughtful instrumental that lets him wax poetic on something crazy inspirational. Not too many rappers can pull that off without coming off corny. I can't front on his hyped joints either, though. And while we'll all forgive him for being a Drake fan (just joking, man), Mike Dreams definitely is a force to be reckoned with. Dude's got an extensive live show resumé and is fit to be recognized on a bigger stage real soon. And on another refreshing note, Mike doesn't curse in his rhymes. I've been tryinna tell people I'm not the only one. Ha. And if all that along with his QuESt and XV cosigns aren't enough to convince you of how dope this emcee is, then you take your time scouring over these links and get yourself familiar. And hold on.



Mike Dreams -
Soul Inspired: Hip Hop's Revival
Forever Words
Counting Sheep: Countdown To Dreamer's Poetry
Blog - MySpace - Facebook - Twitter

... but do take my word for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

so what did ya think about whatever the heck i wrote?