Saturday, May 2, 2009

Classic: Gunpowder


In my opinion, Wyclef Jean has a basketful of classic records under his belt. Fugees or not. This one just happens to have the beautiful Ms. Hill serenading with background vocals as well. But that just adds to its already perfect composition.

Wyclef Jean - Gunpowder (feat. Lauryn Hill)

This cut's from his solo debut The Carnival. It was hailed as an immediate classic post-Score. I don't disagree. It's decade later sequel of sorts is every bit as good to my ears as well. And a few of the several records in between, too. Ha. Well that's enough dubious honors alotted to the man for the moment.

"Gunpowder" is a back-from-war ballad, except Clef's brother didn't come back. I'm not gonna claim to be a connoisseur of reggae music, but I think Wyclef is the closest thing we'll ever have to another Bob Marley. Outside of the immediate Marley family, of course. There are quite a few of them ...

This song evokes all of the right emotions to play off of its crisp bongo accompaniment and tropical acoustic vibe. And Clef manipulates his voice magnificently as Lauryn accents certain lines in the anti-war song. I can't tell you how many times I've had this track on repeat.

... put 'em both together and you got yourself a super spork.

No comments:

Post a Comment

so what did ya think about whatever the heck i wrote?